Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Potty Training... or parent training

So- it's time! My friend Heather sent me the ebook on potty training in 3 days . I began reading it on saturday (instead of my RS lesson.... ooh which by the way is my new calling as I was released from nursery AND cub scouts! YEAH) Anyways I so started reading it... follow directions exactly blah blah blah, throw out all diapers, have rewards, throw them straight into underwear, KEEP them with you at ALL times. huh- that shouldn't be too hard. It's amazing how often T isn't by either mine or Brian's side. so Wednesday we began our 3 day journey. THIS was not the easiest thing, along with not going outside to play, not going for walks, or going to park. You must stay home, close to bathrooms and stay positive. You heard me- positive ugh "it's ok you pooped your pants next time tell mommy when you need to go potty." All day long, "T remember to tell mommy and daddy when you have to go potty." "hurry run run run let's go" So thursday night I'm reading the book again as I'm getting frustrated. (He is smart, I mean really smart. You can ask him where anything in the kitchen goes and he knows and puts it there. You put something away in the wrong spot and he lets you know... but somehow the connection that you need to go potty in the potty wasn't connecting.) It says children 2 and half are more difficult as they are more set in their ways... check and that boys are more difficult... check and well basically it's going to take longer than the 3 days. It's a week later and he's doing better. If we (well Brian as I'm in UT) stays on top of TY and ask him he does stay dry, take him to the bathroom if he wake up in the night he stays dry, but the kid refuses to #2 in the toilet! This is why I didn't do cloth diapers! I know someday it'll all click and hopefully in the next week, but for now I think it's just parent training...





Yes he is mooning you, I asked him to turn around and look at me while I took his "potty training day one pix...." and this is what I got must be his father's influence





"potty training day 5" Ty's scooter he got after filling up two sheets of going potty stickers- he's been wanting one of these for a long time and was so excited. He didn't let it out of his sight all day.

6 comments:

Brianne & Jarod said...

NOT NOT NOT looking forward to that day! Although that is ONE cute little bummer :)

TheKeilShpeel said...

I'm sorry it's not going as well for you. #2's were kind of off and on for Kyle too. We did give Kyle 2 m&m's for everytime he went potty (and the first night he did.. he went just a tiny bit 10 times in a row and yes.. we gave him and m&m and he loved it.. after that.. he didn't have single accident hte next day.. He had a few a week later as he tried to test us but #1's have been easy. #2's we ended up bribing with Cars' cars.. we also did the sticker chart. Do you ask him 50 million times a day "let me know if you need to go." Did you give him a TON to drink too. I hated that part b/c you knkew he would have to go more often as well which means more accidents. Good luck.

Sharon said...

haha.....I had to laugh....seeing as I have been getting things ready myself to potty-train Austin next week....if you have any tricks let me know......are we allowed to just through the poopy underwear away?? ($$$ I wish $$$)

Unknown said...

ha ha... nice cheeks!! that's awesome

Annie said...

I pretty much did this strategy with Jared, even though I didn't realize it. I was just so tired of changing the poopy diapers - I woke up one morning and told him he was wearing underwear. He caught right on with #2 (yeah!) and it only took him a few days to figure out and make it in time for pee pee. I was so nervous taking him out in public, but we did pull-ups over his underwear for a few days, and then just went for it. When they say they have to go though, it sure is a race for the potty. Move out of the way everyone! And I also can attest to the always carrying a change of clothes - even if it's been 3 months since they were "potty trained".

Good luck!

Kim and Jim said...

Oh boy- it's that time! I wish you the best- it takes a lot of patience, and consistency. I remember the day I was ready to just give up and put Aspen back in diapers for a few months was the day it finally clicked with her. And it's so worth it when they're finally trained and you can throw the diapers out for good! Ty looks so "grown up" in his big boy underwear! Love you!