Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The First fruits

We LOVE strawberries in our family, especially T man. A month or so ago we went to the Home Depot (on a side note if you ask T it's HIS store and HIS favorite store... of course it would be) and looked around at the different veggies we wanted for our garden. We saw some cool wine barrels that I've seen before but they've always been expensive. I'd called a few wineries in the area to see if they sold them cheaper but to no avail. But this day Brian called and he found one that sells them $25 for the
whole barrel and $15 for
half. Since we have the tools we bought 2 whole barrels and B sawed them in half. (The barrels at any of the home and garden places are usually $36 for a half... so we felt pretty good about our barrels.) We planted about 6 or so strawberry plants. T has loved watching them grow and watering them. (we only have had about 3 lessons in NOT shoveling in "this" dirt...) This week T got to pick our first one of the season. He shoved the whole thing in his mouth so I can't tell you what I thought of it, but he said it was YUMMMY! I can't wait we have another handful that will be ready in a day or so- and don't you worry I WILL be having one of them.

3 comments:

Grammyzanne said...

Good luck with getting one. Sounds and looks like your son has developed a taste for home-grown strawberries.

Brianne & Jarod said...

I LOVE the last picture of him! He is such a goodlookin boy!

Rodriguez Family said...

he's totally enjoying that strawberry! You (and your green thumb) are my hero! I wish I didn't kill every plant within a 10 foot radius!