Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Day one

So maybe one day I'll be able to laugh and maybe you guys will be able to laugh now and help me later...

Once upon a time well about a week ago to be exact we got a huge snowstorm in Utah. Brian was busy trying to pack and keep a monster happy while I tried to quickly finish work. Mom Smith braved the snow and came down to help us out. We probably got a good foot of snow that day... needless to say not helpful.

On wednesday we say call it day one.... we all got up early took Brian over to the Budget rental office. (Note to anyone who might know "Kevin" I am sorry this was just my experience with him) We dropped him off and proceeded to wait for about 20 mins while Brian was inside the office. We all figured that since we had an online reservation that it would take him 10 mins max so the last 20 mins seemed a bit extreme but oh well. Brian sends us on our way to run a few errands. About 30 mins later Brian is still waiting for our rental truck. Kevin just sat there answering voice mails and emails not paying any attention to Brian finally Brian got fed up and got the guy's attention. An hour and half later Brian is on his way home to load up the van.

We had wonderful neighbors in Pleasant Grove. Dave next door came over and was able to help Brian move all the big heavy things into the van- before I even got home- talk about fast workers! Dave helped us move boxes while Mom S helped keep Ty happy... now I'm sure you're wondering how do you keep a 20 month old happy.... Floor hockey. I walked into the house half expecting to have Ty run and latch on to me to save him, but no he wanted nothing to do with me. He was having fun with G'ma! They had ping pong balls and hockey sticks and were chasing the ball everywhere (Mom admitted later that she was sore from head to toe the next day from all this playing :) I was very grateful for this as Ty sometimes tries to be too helpful. Later as we were running around like chickens with our heads cut off my very pregnant neighbor Linda came over with a bucket full of cleaning supplies asking where she could start. I remember being 9 months prego and I'm not so sure I would've been the first at my door to help. I was so overwhelmed at the kindness and love of these two neighbors.

Brian and I decided that it would be better for Ty and I to drive separately then all of us in the moving van and towing the 4Runner. We stopped for take and bake pizza while mom was home quickly putting things together for us. I was busy trying to pack those last odds and ends that really you just want to throw away but you can't throw away a drawer full of towels just cuz you forgot to pack them earlier.... Brian was putting those last things you find in the garage when Ty ran down the van ramp and fell.

Now normally this wouldn't be a probably. He bounces quite well :) Brian saw him and said "oops up you go" Ty turned to him and just looked at Brian as blood came running out of his mouth. Ty had had a screwdriver in him mouth. Brian quickly brought him inside as we tried to wash out his mouth to see what was the problem. (Now Ty is just learning how to spit so this was a bit more difficult. If only you could imagine us running around trying to find flashlights/ paper towels/ cups in our empty house.) We were able to get him calmed down and it looked like the bleeding had stopped, we gave him some Ibuprofen
tried to get him to eat something then we saw the big hole in his mouth.... We took Ty over to some friends the Beachell's to look at his mouth. It was hard to see in his mouth but they were able to see a bit and said he would be ok. He'd be sore for a while but he'd be ok. So glad/ grateful that he would be ok and not need stitches or something more.

Headed back home to finish our last min cleaning. By this time it was about 9 pm we were all tired, Ty needed just mom and Dad time and I was having my emotional breakdown about moving. We decided that we just needed to go unfortunately we didn't get things as clean as I wanted or the wall repainted (I hope they are planning on repainting and it won't be a big deal.... we did leave them the paint if they want it.) But we just had to go. Brian held me in our garage as I cried and we talked about all our wonderful neighbors and friends, events that we've had at our house, good times and bad times. I realized that I had to leave so we got in our separate vehicles and drove to our hotel.

I wish I could say that was the end of the day but it seemed to only start as my 1 year old was hurt, sore, hungry but wouldn't eat or drink because of his sore mouth and woke up every half hour to tell us his troubles..

No comments: