Thursday, August 6, 2009

Is it really so bad...

Is it really so bad for me to want a clean house? Brian and I just finished having a "discussion" (and yes I should probably cool off before writing and venting but I threw my probably should have's out the window this morning...) so we were having a discussion about my views on cleaning. I HATE cooking in a dirty kitchen, I despise walking into a kitchen with dishes overflowing, and I really can't sit in a room next to the kitchen that has dishes overflowing- on a side not for some reason it does not bother me if it is someone else's home, but where I reside. It also seems to get worse when there are things around me that I can not change- teenagers that look at me like I am the scum of the earth for asking them if they've done their chores, 18 year olds that I have to walk on egg shells around, and a two year old who has to do EVERYTHING and be into everything. I know I have a need to control something and that happens to be the cleanliness of where I am. So is it really so bad if I like to have the dishes done around lunch AND dinner? ( I mean there are 10 of us around if everyone has breakfast, there are at least 7 bowls and 8 plates and probably 15 cups by the time lunch is done...)

7 comments:

Jocelyn Robertson said...

I have the same struggle. I can't leave the house if the sink is full of dishes. Even if they're my roommates dishes. So, I just plan to get up early enough to take care of the dish situation. I know I'm a bit obsessive about it, so I don't expect my roomies to cater to my neurotic tendencies, but when they do it makes me feel SO VERY LOVED.

Somehow the dishes seem to call to me across the room, down the hall, across town. They seem to be quieted when they're safely inside the cupboard or dishwasher.

Emily said...

Yes, that is completely unreasonable! Ha ha. I do miss living with my clean Katie. You seemed to just get it and we were neurotically clean together. This won't last forever....BFS :)

Mom Smith said...

I love you Bug! Thanks for helping to keep my home clean and the dishes done...

Control... The only thing you can control is yourself. You may want to control others but you can't. I've tried and you Dad still farts and picks his teeth... I still like to leave the radio on after I've turned the car off... And I haven't started on you kids' behaviors that I tried so hard to control but never could. And yet I hope you all knew that I loved you in spite of it all.
XOXO
Mom S

Kim and Jim said...

I have to agree that there's something about dishes in the sink that either set a clean tone or a messy tone to the whole house. Maybe it's the smell of last night's dinner that lingers in the house if the dishes sit overnight. Anyhow, I must say that I'm extremely grateful for a dishwashing machine, even if we don't have a garbage disposal... which is another sore subject that I won't go into.

Hang in there, though! You guys are gonna make it!

Rodriguez Family said...

oh Katie-girl, I don't know how you do it! You're a saint, there's no other way to state it! I know Brian might be kindof stuck in CA right now, but there's a room at our house...

TheKeilShpeel said...

I"m totally with you on this one.. I can't cook with dishes everywhere. I like a clean kitchen to cook. What drives me crazy is living in a house full of people and no one helps out. I love doing the dishes but when someone has just watched me empty the dishwasher and has seen me put dirty dishes in it.. why the..... do you put a dirty dish on the counter and not in the dishwasher as I walk away.. WHY? Ben's actually good about htis but not other's in the house and it drives me crazy.

Brianne & Jarod said...

Oh lady..you know you don't even want to get me started on having a clean kitchen..that is why we got along so marvelously and why I love you so much (because you understand my crazy OCD ways!) Hang in there lady, and there is always a clean kitchen waiting for you in Texas!